Job Description: Volunteer Coordinator
Full time salary $35,000 plus healthcare, PTO, travel reimbursement
Must be available every other weekend, some holidays – otherwise schedule is flexible with partial work from home options.
Must have reliable transportation with cargo capabilities.
Reports to: Operations Director
Summary: The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) serves as the supervisor to all volunteers and is responsible for the overall management and organization of Denver Food Rescue’s volunteer program in accordance with its vision and mission. The VC works under the general oversight of the Operations Director.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for managing Denver Food Rescue’s bicycle-based food rescue volunteer program including recruiting volunteers, responding to all volunteer inquiries, orienting, placing, and training volunteers. The VC provides ongoing support and motivation to volunteers to ensure they are following DFR policies and procedures while also having a good time and building community! The position also includes database administration and maintaining up to date volunteer materials and equipment needs.
At DFR we recognize that the work of health equity is done 365 days a year and the resource of utilizing surplus food is available 365 days. This role requires flexibility and the ability to adapt to sudden changes in food procurement and redistribution. Our ideal candidate is passionate about diverse community building and tackling the adaptive problems that inequity presents.
Bicycling Proficiency: This job involves being on a bicycle and having basic bicycle and trailer maintenance skills. Also includes riding 10+ miles and being able to haul 200+ pounds on a trailer and lift up to 40 pounds. Proficient bicycle maintenance skills are highly preferred.
Organization/Problem Solving: We deliver food 363 days per year using a team of 100+ volunteers. To coordinate this effort takes flexibility in work schedule and creativity in problem solving. Computer proficiency is highly weighted.
Passion for Social and Environmental Justice: The DFR VC should be well versed in matters of social and environmental justice in order to understand the context under which we work and create an inclusive space for change making.
The following are areas in which applicants should show experience and competence.
- Responsibility for all food deliveries: the VC should ensure that all food rescue shifts are accomplished in a timely and proper manner. If a shift cannot be covered, the VC is responsible for organizing last minute covers or covering it themselves.
- Operate DFR branded vehicle
- Maintain delivery equipment and facilities (i.e. cycling trailers and storage)
- Responding to all volunteer inquiries: The VC fields all inquiries about volunteering with DFR, from outside the organization or from current volunteers
- Recruitment of volunteers: Assists with marketing events and networking
- Maintenance of an inclusive environment for all volunteers: The VC should excel at working with multiple personality types and utilize creative tools to ensure all people feel welcome in our community.
- Orientation and Training of volunteers: The VC leads the weekly New Volunteer Orientation, and facilitates the training of all volunteers.
- Providing ongoing support and motivation to volunteers: Communicates with volunteers on a regular basis, whether with several shift-mates or individually, to ensure positive morale.
- Database administration: The VC manages several online databases (Google Suite, Salesforce) to track the food rescue process.
- Volunteer Survey: The VC will develop and administer a survey at least once a year to assess the need and wants of our volunteers. The VC will implement any necessary changes based on feedback from the survey.
- Volunteer Annual Report: Every year, the VC will analyze and present a report summarizing the state and progress of the volunteering program.
- In-kind donation acquisition for volunteer appreciation
- Help plan events for volunteer appreciation
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com to apply. Email subject line: Volunteer Coordinator 2020
Open until filled.