Job Description: Volunteer Coordinator Denver Food Rescue
Start Date: March 2018
Pay: Part Time Hourly
~20 Hours per Week (minimum split into 3 days. Ideally 4 or 5 days. Need weekend availability)
$17 per Hour
Pay Distributed 1st and 15th of Every Month
Reports to: Operations Director
Summary: The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) serves as the supervisor to all volunteers and is responsible for the overall management and organization of the Denver Food Rescue volunteer program. The VC works under the general oversight of the Operations Director.
Volunteers are essential to both Denver Food Rescue’s mission and community. To put it simply we could not accomplish our goals without them. They are the individuals who believe that our work is important enough to support it in any way that they can, they truly believe that Denver can and should be a better place for all individuals. At your core you should believe this too. Beyond keeping up the moral of our volunteers, ensuring that they enjoy their volunteer experience with DFR and that they feel like a part of our community it is the Volunteer Coordinator’s responsibility to manage all aspects of DFR’s volunteer program. This includes recruiting volunteers, responding to all volunteer inquiries, orienting, placing, and training volunteers; providing ongoing support and motivation to volunteers to ensure they are following DFR policies and procedures; database administration; maintaining up to date volunteer materials and maintaining DFR’s garages and bike equipment.
Volunteer Coordinator Goals
- Food Rescue Volunteer Coordination
- Recruit food rescue volunteers, provide support and training to ensure they have a fun and fulfilling experience, while supporting the fundamental goals and protocols of DFR.
- Maintain Food Rescue Equipment
- Maintain delivery equipment and facilities, organizational infrastructure, and technology.
- Assist Operations Director with food donor relationships and other tasks.
- Bicycle Proficiency: DFR bike based volunteers ride 10+ miles and haul 200+ pounds on a trailer. While you won’t have to do this every day you will be training volunteers to do this and joining them on occasion. Proficient bicycle maintenance skills are highly preferred.
- Organization/Problem Solving: We deliver food 365 days per year using a team of 100+ volunteers. To coordinate this effort takes flexibility in work schedule and creativity in problem solving. We use an online app called the Food Rescue Robot that you will be managing thus proficiency in computer use is highly important.
- Passion for Social and Environmental Justice: The DFR Volunteer Coordinator should be well versed in matters of social and environmental justice in order to understand the context under which we work and create an inclusive space for change making.
We encourage individuals for whom english is not their first language to apply for this position; however, the Volunteer coordinator will need to communicate at semi-proficient level via email, phone and in-person with DFR’s volunteer base in english.
The following are areas in which applicants should show experience and competence.
Food Rescue Volunteer Coordination
- Responsibility for all food deliveries: the Volunteer Coordinator should ensure that all food rescue shifts are accomplished in a timely and proper manner. If a shift cannot be covered, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for organizing last minute covers or covering it themselves.
- Maintain delivery equipment and facilities (i.e. cycling trailers and storage)
- Responding to all volunteer inquiries: The Volunteer Coordinator fields all inquiries about volunteering with DFR, from outside the organization or from current volunteers
- Recruitment of volunteers: Assists with marketing events and networking
- Maintenance of an inclusive environment for all volunteers: The Volunteer Coordinator should excel at working with multiple personality types and utilize creative tools to ensure all people feel welcome in our community.
- Orientation and Training of volunteers: The Volunteer Coordinator leads the weekly New Volunteer Orientation, and facilitates the training of all volunteers.
- Providing ongoing support and motivation to volunteers: Communicates with volunteers on a regular basis, whether with several shift-mates or individually, to ensure positive morale.
- Database administration: The Volunteer Coordinator manages several online databases to track the food rescue process.
- Volunteer Survey: The Volunteer Coordinator will develop and administer a survey at least once a year to assess the need and wants of our volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator will implement any necessary changes based on feedback from the survey.
- Volunteer Annual Report: Every year, the Volunteer Coordinator will analyze and present a report summarizing the state and progress of the volunteering program.
- Support and work with the Operations Director
- Intern Coordination: Any interns whose jobs involve volunteer coordination will be managed by the Volunteer Coordinator.
Questions? Please email Emily Olsen at email@example.com
Submit your application here: https://goo.gl/forms/W4oZbcX9Te3CUDq12 Job open until position filled.